Wednesday, August 18, 2010

UDL/DI Reflection

Being able to incorporate elements of differentiated instruction and universal design for learning are great and necessary strategies for every teacher in today's classroom. After completing this course and looking back at what I have learned, I can say that in my three years of teaching I have been doing a decent job of using DI in my teaching. I have a diverse classroom with ELL, TAG, and IEP students all in the same room where it is impossible not to differentiate instruction. Universal Design for Learning was a new theory to me 8 weeks ago. I understand its principles and see the positives of it in the classroom, but had a difficult time fully grasping its context and applying it to my everyday teaching. As this course progressed, it became more clear to full effects of it and how to use UDL in the classroom, but I can honestly say it will be a challenge to see its everyday uses.

However, the ability to use technology can enhance a teacher's ability to reach and engage every student in a classroom. I like what Dr. Tomlinson mentions that a teacher, in order to differentiate instruction, does not have to create a lesson plan for each of their student. They can place their students in similar learning ability "zones" and differentiate their instruction. For teacher's to understand that DI does not have to be more work, they can start applying it to their daily lessons. Out of the nine courses that I have completed during this program, I would say that this has been my most difficult to grasp. I have had a great time completing most of the assignments in all other classes, but I found just about every application difficult to complete. I hope it is just because the program is winding down and I am getting burnt out and I think now that I am starting my final course, I will quickly regain that enthusiasm that I have had for such a long time during my time with Walden. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment