Thursday, May 13, 2010

Developing My Personal GAME Plan

While I still consider myself a "newer" teacher as I finish up my third year of teaching, there are still many parts of my teaching that I want to fix and make more engaging for the students. I pride myself on being a strong advocate for integrating technology into the classroom and making it available to my students, but I know that I could be doing a better job of actually implementing technology into my everyday classroom. The two indicators from the NETS-T standards that I would personally like to strengthen my confidence in are :
1. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning

2. Promote and Modeling Digital Citizenship Responsibly.


In order for me to put these two standards into place I need to create a GAME plan that will give me the steps I need to take in order to make this a reality.

Goals

1. My goals for strengthening these two standards are to become more understanding of the different forms of technology available to educators and students in the classroom. There is a large market for technology tools that are designed specifically for the school setting. If I can model new forms of technology in my classroom to my students, than they will understand that this is a part of their future as a student and also as a working adult.

2. Most teenagers do not understand the dangers of capturing sensitive material on their cell phones or computers. Students take pictures and videos that are considered illegal in the United States everyday and do not know that what they are doing is considered a criminal act. Also, the ease at which forms of media (television shows, feature-length films and music) can be pirated off the internet and used for personal use or profit is a form of theft. People do these illegal acts all of the time and do not think they can get into trouble by doing it. I can teach my students the facts about these topics and move them to change their digital behaviors than I can hopefully prevent them from getting into trouble with the law.

Actions

1. By introducing new forms of educational technology into the classroom and making computers, internet, Clickers and different software programs a part of my classroom, students will begin to become very familiar with it. If I only choose to implement technology on a rare occasion than the students will not begin to have a strong understanding of computers the internet, etc.

2. By showing my students the consequences of using technology for illegal activities they will be able to see for themselves what could happen to them if they participate in unlawful acts through the use of technology. I believe that by showing them to faces of people just like them who have been caught doing illegal acts through the internet will make it a reality to them the stealing movies and music and sending illegal images or video of themselves through their cell phones or email can actually get them into some real trouble.

Monitor

1. By having my students create projects or presentations through the use of
2. Since I cannot actually monitor my students email, cell phone usage, Facebook or Myspace pages, I will have to count on their honesty when talking to them about their online behavior. I would have them create a blog or some other of online writing format where they can write about their actions online. Maybe keep a log entry of where they spend their time surfing the web and what type of activities they do online. I would trust that they are telling the truth and other students of my could help hold one another accountable.

5 comments:

  1. Aaron-
    I completely agree with you that students do not understand the consequences for capturing certain incidents or pictures on their cell phones or how they make comments on the web. In Kentucky, there is new legislature being passed about bullying and sexual harassment related to these issues. Demonstrating ethical use and behavior with technology is extremely important with our students.
    In regards to you other goal with using new technology, does your school have a lot of the new and upcoming technology?? I feel that my school is somewhat behind and therefore our students are even further behind.

    ~Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron, great post. Your idea about modeling digital age work is important. You have been teaching for 3 years, I have been teaching for 13 years; the introduction of the internet and all that goes with it truly is changing education but the world! I have never seen such change in my time in the classroom as the past three or four years. It's silly to speculate but I think the next 'new thing' is a long way off...this new thing is so huge! Welcome to the digital age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan-
    Yes, my school prides itself on their attention we place on implementing technology in our school. We have given technology upgrades a large amount of our budget. We are receiving two new full computer labs this summer and every teacher (75 of us) will have a Smartboard in our classroom by the end of next year.

    I have discussed with my students (Freshman) the dangers of sensitive material being sent through the web or cell phones. Often times they do not ever think it will happen to them, but I have over heard stories of my students doing these stupid things still. Its frustrating

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shayne

    13 years of teaching and going strong! awesome. I am so happy that I started teaching when I did. I feel like we are on the cusp of a teaching and learning revolution and I get to be at the center of it and lead my fellow teachers. We have numerous teachers who have been teaching 20 plus years and refuse to use their computers for anything but grading and taking attendance. By completing this program and using the amazing teaching strategies I have learned here, I can lead our staff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaron~
    I totally agree with you on the students understanding the consequences of their actions. I believe that it is of the utmost importance that teach them to be mindful of their actions and how they effect themselves and others. This is especially important when dealing with the high school students and social networking sites. The ramifications of this as well as sex-ting and illegal down loading of music is a big mess that they need to stay out of. I also teach ninth graders and hope that I reach them before any major problems arise.
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete