Thursday, July 9, 2009

How Can Blogs Benefit My Classroom?


I currently teach high school U.S. History in Hermiston, Oregon (Watermelon Capital of the World!). I can use blogs in my classroom for many purposes. Here is a list of the following uses that I have for my blogs in my classrooms for the upcoming school year:






1. To enrich student contact with classroom material. Homework assignments, articles and websites, etc.)

2. Have a classroom discussion board online. This can motivate students to communicate who are shy in the classroom.

3. Improving student use of technology

4. Excellent opportunities for students to read and write

4 comments:

  1. I think you have a great list going for all the uses of blogging. I really appreciated the use of an online discussion board. There are those students who are too shy to raise their hand in class and this really allows them the opportunity to have a voice in the classroom. Also, I like the fact that you mentioned that it will improve their technology skills. It might introduce blogging to students who have never been exposed to this form of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been very surprised by the amount of my students who do not understand basic functions of a computer or the internet and any chance I can get to improve their computer skills I will take it. This list I have created will only grow as I continue on with my blog. Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you think that you would best be able to use the online discussion board in your classroom? Would you have students access the board in class or would you have students access them at home? Do you anticipate any problems with the school network in your system? Mine has many sites that were recommended blocked by the school networks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaron,

    I like you idea of a class discussion board. In order for it to be successful I think you will need to supply the prompts or discussion topics to keep the discussion related to the curriculum that is being taught.

    Also, allow enough time and opportunity for students to access the internet. Allowing a block of time for students who do not have internet access to access the blog will ensure success.

    ReplyDelete